Above-ground pool decks are becoming increasingly popular. There are a few million such pools and about two hundred thousand of them are sold every year. And you’re thinking of having your own, aren’t you?
A simple above-ground pool is more affordable than in-ground pools. Plus, homeowners have access to a wide array of styles and materials. Perhaps, these two are the top reasons why above-ground pool decks are such a hit among your fellow Americans.
This type of pool is also more accessible – which is great for people with mobility challenges.
If you have an above-ground pool, it’s common to add a fence or barrier around it to make it safer than one without.
So, such an addition is a great idea. But what about the cost of building a pool deck? This is what this article is all about.
Cost Factors for Above-Ground Pool Decks
1. Deck size: The larger the deck, the more materials and labor will be required, which will increase the overall cost.
2. Type of materials used: There are several types of materials used for above-ground pool decks, including wood, composite materials, and PVC. Each material has a different cost per square foot, and some require more maintenance than others.
3. Labor costs: Labor costs for building an above-ground pool deck can vary based on the location, experience of the contractor, and the complexity of the design. The more intricate the deck design, the more time and labor it will require, which will increase the cost.
4. Additional features and accessories: Adding features such as built-in seating, lighting, and a pergola or shade structure will increase the cost of an above-ground pool deck.
5. Permits and inspections: Depending on local regulations, permits and inspections may be required for building an above-ground pool deck. These costs can add up and should be factored into the overall cost of the project.
This might seem a lot to think about, which is why you should consider hiring a reputable pool deck contractor. Doing so allows you to focus on other things while also avoiding any headaches that might come from DIYing or hiring inexperienced people.
Average Cost of an Above-Ground Pool Deck
The average cost range for a basic above-ground pool deck can vary depending on the size of the deck and the type of deck materials used. Generally, a basic deck without any additional features or accessories can cost between $2,500 to $7,500, with $5,000 being the average cost.
A wood deck can be a popular and cost-effective option for above-ground pool decks. A basic wood deck can cost around $15 to $30 per square foot, and the overall cost will depend on the size of the deck. For example, a 10’ x 10’ wood deck can cost between $1,500 to $3,000, while a 12’ x 24’ wood deck can cost between $4,500 to $7,200.
Composite materials can be more expensive than wood, but they are low maintenance and can last longer. A composite deck can cost around $35 to $50 per square foot, making it a more expensive option. For example, a 10’ x 10’ composite deck can cost between $3,500 to $5,000, while a 12’ x 24’ composite deck can cost between $10,500 to $12,000.
PVC decks are another low-maintenance option that can be more expensive than wood. A PVC deck can cost around $45 to $60 per square foot, making it the most expensive option. For example, a 10’ x 10’ PVC deck can cost between $4,500 to $6,000, while a 12’ x 24’ PVC deck can cost between $13,500 to $14,400.
It’s important to note that the above prices are just estimates and can vary depending on the location, contractor, and specific materials used.
Additionally, the cost can increase if you decide to add additional features and accessories, such as built-in seating, lighting, and a pergola. By considering the size of the deck and the materials used, homeowners can better estimate the total cost of their above-ground pool deck project.
3 Simple Above-Ground Pool Deck Ideas
It’s best to visualize your pool so you can clearly communicate with your chosen reliable deck builders. And you can visualize better if you know the design that you want! So here are some simple above-ground pool deck ideas that can enhance the look and functionality of your pool area.
● A platform deck is as simple as it can get. It’s a flat, elevated platform that surrounds the pool, and can be built in any shape or size. This type of deck is perfect for those who want a minimalist and functional design.
● A half-surround deck is a deck that is built on one side of the pool. It’s a great option for those who want a simple and low-cost design. The deck can be raised or flush with the pool and can be built in a variety of materials, such as wood or composite.
● A side deck is a deck that is built on one side of the pool but extends beyond the pool’s perimeter. This design is perfect for those who want a little more space to lounge and relax. It can be built at any height and can feature stairs or a ladder for easy access to the pool.
Related Post: Upgrade Your Deck with a Pergola
Your Trusted Pool Deck Builder
When you decide you’re ready to take your pool to the next level, call us at Zappa Deck Builders. We’re ready to make your pool deck dream a reality. Give us a call at 909-787-2759 and let’s chat about what you want for your backyard oasis.